Tethering gets invoked when WifiService notices the softAP interface is
available.  That interface only is created when the softAP driver is
started.  So Wifi is on the hook to start up and configure the softAP.  Once
that is done it tells the tethering service to tether that interface - the
tethering service works to create the proper upstream connection, starts up
dhcp and dns services if needed and does the iptables work to complete the
connection.