(forum: gmane.comp.handhelds.android.platform,
gmane.comp.handhelds.android.porting
fu2:gmane.comp.handhelds.android.porting)

Hi,
I don't know if those are the appropriate forums to post to,
so feel free to redirect me.

I also wanted to point out that I am an advanced linux user
but totally new to android and french ;)

I have a htc desire

(orange.fr branded:
Firmware version (micrologiciel): 2.1-update1
Baseband version (bande de base): 32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2
Kernel version (noyau): 2.6.29-54b7033a
                htc-ker...@and18-2 #1
Software number (logiciel): 1.22.73.1)

which has a display bug making it
unable to use. (the screen displays only a quarter of what it is
supposed to show, the touch screen doesn't work at all)
I called my telephone provider (orange.fr) and the phone will be
exchanged today (in 4 hours from now) thanks to warranty.

Before this exchange, I would like to copy the /data directory which I
understood contains my contacts (I didn't activate the sync/gmail
thing), my sms and somehow the list of the apps I installed thru the
market or by hand.
The "debugging" usb is on, I can access the sdcard.
I have sdk installed on my computer, but, for example, with ddms file
explorer I can't pull the /data directory to the computer.

I guess it's a permission issue and I would like to know if it is
possible to achieve such thing?

cheers
hého