Hi,

You could try taking a bugreport/"dumpsys window", which dumps the
window manager service information.
The z-order listing should be useful to see if the window is actually
added.
Something like below (Where we see that DevelopmentSettings is at the
top).
You can also see the properties of the window token that you are
interested in, in the same output (To see if it is really hidden).

<snip>
:
Application tokens in Z order:
  App #4: AppWindowToken{44bd6e30 token=HistoryRecord{44ae2d88
com.android.settings/.DevelopmentSettings}}
  App #3: AppWindowToken{44becb90 token=HistoryRecord{44a9bb18
com.android.settings/.ApplicationSettings}}
  App #2: AppWindowToken{44becd60 token=HistoryRecord{44beca80
com.android.settings/.Settings}}
  App #1: AppWindowToken{44b8c8a8 token=HistoryRecord{44b27e28
com.android.launcher/com.android.launcher2.Launcher}}
  App #0: AppWindowToken{44afc5a8 token=HistoryRecord{44afab70
com.android.setupwizard/.SetupWizardActivity}}
:
</snip>

I am not too sure about the details of the window drawing though, but
I am sure someone else will be along.