The only time you can avoid asynchronous binding is if you can ensure the
service is always running and never ever disappears, which means its
interface published from an object in the system process.  Only core system
services are in this category.

On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 1:14 AM, freakingtux <kees.jongenbur...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>

> On Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:39:41 AM UTC+1, hackbod wrote:
>>
>> The am command requires that the entire system be running, since it makes
>> calls on the activity manager.
>>
>> You are mixing two completely different levels of the system.  init is the
>> very lowest-level user space code that runs, and zygote is the lowest-level
>> dalkvik stuff.  An .apk is the highest-level application concept, and needs
>> all of the other platform (system process with all of the system java code
>> like the window manager) to be up and running for it to be able to do
>> anything.
>>
>> Given this information should I consider it wrong to write services(bound
> to addons) and deploy them using apk's.?
> Services provided by the SystemService are always available(you don't need
> to wait for the binding process to be done)
>
> If I currently write services I rely on the boot completed  to start the
> services. This has as drawback that users of that service
> also need deal with the asynchronous binding behavior. e.g. you can not use
> a method like Context.getSystemService and use the object directly so you
> have to deal with the Service connecting and disconnecting
>

>  --

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hack...@android.com