Just as a followup, I see that for a brief time between Aug/Oct 2009
there were some additional parameters in the hw config spec:

disk.systemPartition.size
disk.dataPartition.size

So clearly I'm not the only one thinking about this... but they've
been pulled, so perhaps there's a work around (other than the startup
flag) that I'm not aware of?

Thanks