Barry,

Do you have the capability of booting off the SD card once you've
finished flashing the NAND with the YAFFS2 images? If so, you might
want to do that and then manually mount the NAND partitions into
temporary directories and see what the contents look like..that might
help in debugging what's going on. You should use the same Kernel for
the SD boot as you would for the NAND boot..

Regards
-- Ashwin