Most any decent IDE should be able to be configured to invoke build
commands.

Large software projects intended to be easily maintained and
compatible with distributed development tend to avoid the lock-in of
an IDE-driven build process and instead provide solid build scripts,
which can be triggered in whatever manner an individual developer
prefers.

The larger the software project, the more important it is to be
strategic in your testing, and to develop an awareness of what part of
the problem you are and aren't working on.  Iterative build-and-try
becomes a lot less productive as the build process (and in the case of
android, boot process) gets longer in time.