Yes. Froyo has the same problem with excessive garbage collection as
Eclair, in default mode. Unlike Eclair, it is however easy to fix
since the functions for manual buffers are available in Froyo.

So, in short:
Use addCallbackBuffer to queue up 2 buffers
Set previewCallbackWithBuffer
Start preview
Readd buffers each time you get a preview callback

One warning though:
Froyo will try to send your captured images in the same buffers as
your preview, which generally does not work. You have to clear all
queued preview buffers before making a takePicture to avoid this
problem.

Best regards
David