Well, this won't work unless you start a datacall in the first place.

Can you try:
adb root
adb forward 2222 dev:/dev/ttyUSB0

And then talk to the modem with a suitble terminal (hyperterm?)  and
see if the modem replies?
If it does then check that you've got network:
at+cops?
at+cgreg?
Set a pdp context:
at+cgdcont=1,"IP","..."
dial:
atd*99#

then close your term and try starting the ppp deamon as you did...

To use the reference ril, Replace the part of the init.rc with

service ril-daemon /system/bin/rild -l /system/lib/libreference-ril.so
-- -d /dev/ttyUSB0

and see if anything happens in logcat...

I'm not sure that the reference ril handles switching the channel from
command to data mode and back, so you may need to do some changes
there... Ideally, your modem should have more than one com port, so
you can dedicate one (or more) to control and one to data...

Hope this helps.

M.