The wierd thing is that a lot of people use make to build the android system

while android environment provides the means that make this a lot easier.

Below the steps and what is does,

- source build/envsetup.sh

This will setup your environment, so pointing to the correct host and cross
compiler.

- lunch <device name>-eng

This will select the device your want to build, the '-eng' at the end tells
the build environment to build an engineering release

- m -j<number of jobs>

This will start the build process. The -j speaks for itself

So no issue about how to figure out how to get the system point to the
correct toolchain etc etc.
Give it a try.

Hedwin