IIRC, the hardware abstraction library will try to load a library named
/system/lib/hw/libgps.<hardware>.so first before any system wide libgps.so
Where <hardware> corresponds to the hardware name, and is "goldfish" when
running under emulation.

See development/tools/emulator/system/gps/Android.mk for the details on how
to force your module to go to /system/lib/hw/, instead of the default
/system/lib.

You probably want to replace the emulator version with your own sources
during testing.