On Friday, June 3, 2011 10:00:44 AM UTC+2, steeldusk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to set user and group in init.rc for my own service.  It
> works nicely with having user as root, but I see some other default
> android services have 'system' as group.

Hi

I written down what I understand from user and groups here
https://github.com/keesj/gomo/wiki/AndroidUserAndGroups you might find it
useful or not.

My understanding of the "system" user is that it is a user that was given
very broad set of permissions( by using capabilities and user/group settings
on files) but not
the typical "all" permissions the root user will get. Making a service part
of a group broadens it's permissions.

Greetings