Hi,

To just check out how your icons look, you can change
"qemu.sf.lcd_density" if you are using an emulator. It actually
overrides a read-only system property "ro.sf.lcd_density", which you
can also change, if you have buildable code/root for your device.
See:
http://www.netmite.com/android/mydroid/1.6/frameworks/base/core/java/android/util/DisplayMetrics.java

If you want to change it for good, you can check for the supported
configurations in your product makefile.
It's specified in PRODUCT_LOCALES .

Example:
http://source-android.frandroid.com/device/htc/passion-common/passion.mk

 # Passion uses high-density artwork where available
 PRODUCT_LOCALES := hdpi