Hi James,
               i once faced the problem,i founf out that if you hardcode the
IMSI value,then the problem comes.
First 5/6 digits of IMSI is MCC/MNC number, which you have to set when you
are manually adding APN names.If there is a mismatch then telephony
framework wont accept the APN and simply delete it.

there can be many other opinions regarding ur problem,hope my solution is
the right one :)