I appreciate the response.

As best I can tell, this doesn't really solve my problem. I understand
the article, but it seems like its talking about using the translation
stuff for offsetting. I'm aware of android:screenOrientation, however
IIRC, it cant handle the native orientations + 180 (upside down
landscape etc).

We have no on board accelerometers, and effectively want to be able to
in software flip whatever switches we need to act as if there was an
orientation change event. I want the entire os to flip to said
orientation.

Any more pointers would be helpful.