The board that I am porting android to does not have gps hardware.

When I visit the google mobile page with the default webkit browser
using the board it crashes as the gps does not work.

I can fix this by editing GeoLocationService.java to not look for gps
updates by commenting out this line:

mLocationManager.requestLocationUpdates(LocationManager.GPS_PROVIDER,
0, 0, this);

Does anyone know how or could advise me on how to go about disabling
gps support in the android build system for a more elegant and
compatible solution?

Logcat dump of the crash:

D/mterp   (  923): Exception Ljava/lang/IllegalArgumentException; from
LocationManager.java:583 not caught locally
W/dalvikvm(  923): JNI WARNING: JNI method called with exception
raised
W/dalvikvm(  923):              in Landroid/webkit/
JWebCoreJavaBridge;.sharedTimerFired ()V (NewLocalRef)
W/dalvikvm(  923): Pending exception is:
I/dalvikvm(  923): Ljava/lang/IllegalArgumentException;: provider=gps
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:
1326)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at android.os.Parcel.readException(Parcel.java:
1276)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at android.location.ILocationManager$Stub
$Proxy.requestLocationUpdates(ILocationManager.java:646)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.location.LocationManager._requestLocationUpdates(LocationManager.java:
582)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.location.LocationManager.requestLocationUpdates(LocationManager.java:
446)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.webkit.GeolocationService.registerForLocationUpdates(GeolocationService.java:
162)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.webkit.GeolocationService.start(GeolocationService.java:66)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.webkit.JWebCoreJavaBridge.sharedTimerFired(Native Method)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.webkit.JWebCoreJavaBridge.fireSharedTimer(JWebCoreJavaBridge.java:
91)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.webkit.JWebCoreJavaBridge.handleMessage(JWebCoreJavaBridge.java:
108)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at
android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at android.webkit.WebViewCore
$WebCoreThread.run(WebViewCore.java:629)
I/dalvikvm(  923):      at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1019)
I/dalvikvm(  923): "WebViewCoreThread" prio=5 tid=10 NATIVE
I/dalvikvm(  923):   | group="main" sCount=0 dsCount=0 obj=0x8599d10
self=0x1018e580
I/dalvikvm(  923):   | sysTid=955 nice=0 sched=0/0 cgrp=[fopen-error:
2] handle=270602432
I/dalvikvm(  923):   at
android.webkit.JWebCoreJavaBridge.sharedTimerFired(Native Method)
I/dalvikvm(  923):   at
android.webkit.JWebCoreJavaBridge.fireSharedTimer(JWebCoreJavaBridge.java:
91)
I/dalvikvm(  923):   at
android.webkit.JWebCoreJavaBridge.handleMessage(JWebCoreJavaBridge.java:
108)
I/dalvikvm(  923):   at
android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:99)
I/dalvikvm(  923):   at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:123)
I/dalvikvm(  923):   at android.webkit.WebViewCore
$WebCoreThread.run(WebViewCore.java:629)
I/dalvikvm(  923):   at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:1019)
I/dalvikvm(  923):
E/dalvikvm(  923): VM aborting