Hi sudheer,
The error is bcoz rild is asking ril for a request it doesn't know how to
handle. In the reference-ril.c or whatever your ril library file is, Look
for the function "static void onRequest (int request, void *data, size_t
datalen, RIL_Token t)" it will have a switch case statement with "request"
as switch. In that give a case statement as below :-

case RIL_REQUEST_SET_PREFERRED_NETWORK_TYPE:
break;

this will deal with your error. But it's purpose was to set 2G/3G
preference. So if you are dealing with a 3G modem and really need this
functionality then, in the case statement , give a function call. and
define the get and set functions called previously to send and receive
at commands which set 2G/3G network scan preference and get them back. IF
you are using a 2G only modem then ignore.

You say you have data connection working with chat scripts. So next step is
to integrate the chat script into RIL by editing the requestSetupDataCall
function in reference-ril.c with your chat script commands. This will allow
you to use the APNs defined by user in settings to be used dynamically. You
will still have to call pppd, but you doNOT need ti pass the
* 'chat -v "" AT OK ATE0 OK AT+IPR=115200 OK AT+CGDCONT=1,\"IP\",\"
airtelgprs.com\" OK ATDT*99***1# CONNECT'  *
part.The only difference is that with chat scripts you are stuck with one
APN setting only. with RIL implementation you can edit it in settings in
android. DO THIS ONLY AFTER EVERYTHING IN DATA CONNECTION IS WORKING. If
not work with it first.bcoz editing it in RIL means recompiling ril where
as editing chat script is very easy.  Then trim the pppd command call by
giving all options like
 /dev/ttyS0 115200 asyncmap auth connect
in a seperate script file and give "pppd call scriptfile_name" or place
options in /etc/ppp/options file and then you can simply call "pppd" with
no options given. This will make it look neat.