In the current Android model localization uses a language-region mapping
model. However I was wondering if it were possible to extend this to a
vendor-language-region model? I understand this would require some changes
in the framework to pull this off?

Since we are going to be working with multiple vendors in the same locale
the product overlay mechanism doesn't work for us. We would like to ideally
only have 1 build and apply vendor string changes as an overlay at runtime.
We are trying to avoid build per vendor model as it is not going to be
scalable in the long run.