There are patches available that add configuration dialog etc, mostly all
originated by yi sun of the android-x86 project.

They never applied out of the box for me, but were straightforward enough
to patch manually. Do a bit of research, and you'll be good to go with full
blown EthernetService,EthernetManager,EthernetConfiguration etc

Ronnyek