Over hdmi?

I've got a little 7" hdmi monitor with integrated egalax touch screen, but
it just does audio/video over hdmi, touch panel controlled by usb.

What you should be able to do is create idc file
(http://source.android.com/tech/input/input-device-configuration-files.html)
 for egalax touch panel, and make sure that hid-multitouch module is
enabled (or built into kernel) and that should be able to handle the egalax
touchpanel for multitouch. Relatively easy to get going.

I'd be real surprised if the serial channel in hdmi is actually being used
here for the touchscreen controller.

Weston