Ok, I now have a partial fix for this. I made a small tweak in
~/packages/apps/Settings/src/com/android/settings/DevelopmentSettings.java
within onCreate() and now my default option is "No background processes".
But, I realized that I have to go into the "Developer Options" page for
this to kick in.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to make this default WITHOUT going into
this page? Appreciate any thoughts

Thanks
HV