On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 5:28 AM, Vishveshwar <vishveshwarb...@aim.com> wrote:
> On Monday, July 9, 2012 2:51:22 PM UTC+5:30, venkat k raju wrote:
>>
>> Hi Vishveshwar,
>>
>> thank you!!!!
>>
>> somehow  i got to know like if the kernel version is 2.6.37 then it's have
>> wl1271 driver code!! so i am trying to use this instead of the
>> downloading&building wifi driver separately as module.
>>
>> otherwise can you tell me which one is better? as for android suggested.
>>
> TI recommends to use the compat-wireless drivers instead of the in-kernel
> driver for WL1271 as they have various bug-fixes. You are anyway getting the
> TI-supported driver sources with rowboat sources (see
> <rowboat>/hardware/ti/wlan/wl1271_compat). No need to hunt around for them.
> You also get a handy porting guide for WL12xx devices on android at the TI
> wiki.
>
> The rowboat sources are oriented for using loadable kernel drivers for WLAN.
> I would recommend you follow the same. You would probably have to make
> changes in the wifi HAL to get the kernel built-in driver correctly.

There is 1 more problem with using the in-kernel wifi driver.
The request for irq or the power -up/down sequence of the chip (WL_EN)
is tied to the insmod/rmmod - via the sdio_register/_unregister -
than the ifconfig up/down - so when you build the driver along with
kernel, I wonder how we can power-cycle the chip ??

Pretty much clueless myself regarding this ... Would be interesting to know..

> -Vishveshwar

>>> Any specific reason to use kernel built-in driver instead to the usual
>>> kernel module(*.ko) method used in AOSP/rowboat?
>>>
>>> Or do you mean to say that you wish to use the WL12xx drivers in the
>>> kernel rather than the compat-wireless driver in hardware-ti-wlan?
>>>
>>> -Vishveshwar

>>> --
>>

>> --
>> thanks&Regards