I am encountering an issue with some apps not recognizing that they have a
data connection when I'm using Ethernet as my connection.

For example, Google Maps will be able to retrieve mapping data, display it,
and I can navigate around just fine.  However, when I want to switch to
*satellite
view*, instead of bringing up the menu to select satellite view it says
"Cannot complete action without a data connection".  The same feature works
fine when WiFi is being used instead.  I have seen this with other apps too.

Obviously the apps are querying the Android platform as to whether a data
connection is present.  However, the response they are getting must be
indicating that the Ethernet connection that exists isn't fully recognized
inside Android.

Questions (help for any of these questions would be appreciated):

   1. What would be the query being made by Google Maps (or another app)
   that is failing?  (help trace down problem)
   2. What indicates to Android that a data connection is valid?  (a more
   direct solution)
   3. Is there a known solution for this problem?

Thanks much in advance,

Chris