What device is this ? How are you exposing the data to userspace ?

The rules of thumb are simple : you need to create another layer (native
code) that interacts with the device driver. This layer must have access
permissions (uid/gid) to the interface defined by the driver. Java code
could call native code directly, and/or as a service.

HTH
-- Shree