David,

Mutlichannel audio uses a DirectoutputThread.
The DirectOutputThread is selected if an AudioTrack is opened with a
channel mask indicating 5.1 AND the audio HAL has reported an output
profile in audio_policy.conf with direct output flag set and a compatible
channel mask or "dynamic" channel mask. In case of "dynamic" channel mask,
the audio HAL is queried after the HDMI sink is connected for the actual
number of channels supported.
The output of the down mixer is stereo only and mixed with other tracks by
MixerThread.

Thanks.

Eric.