starting from the freescale i.MX6 saber BSP. I want to remove GPS support
since my device doesn't have one,

Android still seems to thin kit has a GPS, at th every least it shows a GPS
checkbox in the location access sub-menu, looking at the code it seems that
this is built dynamically only when android believes it has a GPS source,
but I jsut can't figure out how to kae it understand it doesn't have a GPS
at all. What am I missing?

(next after GPS I'll want to remove the camera support, hopefully getting
the GPS out will help me understand how to do the same to the camera)

I added the following (bolded) lines to imx6.mk
# gps related lib
*ifeq ($(BOARD_HAVE_HARDWARE_GPS),true)*
PRODUCT_PACKAGES += \
    gps.SABRESD                \
    gps.ARM2                \
    gps.SABREAUTO                \
    Orion.ini                 \
    AR1520A-Auto.img             \
    ingsvcd                 \
    libOrionCtl.so                 \
    OrionSys.so
*endif*

I removed the following from udeventd.freescale.rc
/dev/ttymxc1 0775 system gps
/dev/ttya0 0775 system gps
/dev/ptya0 0775 system gps
/dev/ttya1 0775 system gps
/dev/ptya1 0775 system gps

I added the following to my <myproduct>BoardConfigComm.mk
BOARD_HAVE_HARDWARE_GPS := false
USE_ATHR_GPS_HARDWARE:= false