In the second step, you symlinked /data/tombstones into the root directory,
with the same name. The third step is actually creating
/data/tombstones/mdm through the symlink you created in the second step.
The file space being used is in the partition mounted on /data. (In an AOSP
build, that partition is flashed with the "userdata.img" image.)

The third step could also have been " mkdir /data/tombstones/mdm 0771
system system".