The most important thing that you haven't tell us is how you flashed the image.
What about the page size and eraseblock size? Are they correctly specified?

Also, why do you need to manually create the image? The build system should
already have built it for you.

Anyway, I have some other suggestions. If you can boot a minimal Linux system,
you can consider mounting the partition there and put the files there directly
by making a tarball, copying via nfs or other possible ways. Or if you managed
to get a working Android recovery system, you can use it to install via an OTA
package instead. You can build the recovery by `make recoveryimage` and the OTA
package by `make otapackage`. I am suggesting these because some time ago, I
tried fashing the yaffs2 images but for some reasons it just never worked so I
end up using recovery to install the sysyem instead.