I've implemented a custom feature inside AudioFlinger that I want to be
able to turn on and off. I am currently able to do it by reading a custom
system properties (property_get()) and setting it from adb when running adb
as root.

If I understand things correctly, Android security architecture does not
allow me to modify these properties (property_set()) from an app, e.g.
Setting or a custom app, even if I compile the app with the system UID and
sign it the system signing identity. The reason is that I need to be *root*,
not *system*, in order to set them for AudioFlinger to see. (Can someone
confirm this?) So I'm abandoning this strategy.

Instead, I'm thinking for using a named semaphore in the OS which would
wait for the app the toggle a switch and then set the appropriate setting.
This seems like a bit of an overkill.

What is the way to implement this correctly? Is there an event API that the
OS code itself could listen to, similar to BroadcastListener in Dalvik? Any
feedback is much appreciated.