Hi,

I am a newbie here. I am trying to understand why it takes so much
time for Samsung/AT&T to upgrade my Android galaxy s3 running
Jellybean to a more recent KitKat version? What modifications/tests do
Samsung and AT&T perform before releasing an update? Here is my basic
understanding. Correct me if i am wrong.

1.) device manufacturers take AOSP and add more features on top of
that?  Ex Samsung has to add Touchwiz related features on top of Stock
ROM. So they need time to ensure that extra features work seamlessly
for Kitkat release?

2.) Telecom operators get an update from device manufacturer and then
do stress testing of the release?  If they see any issues, they work
with the device manufacturer to resolve it? They also add some stuff
in the final product for which they take time (I see AT&T Navigator
app pre-installed)?

Curious to know!