I would like the ability to tether my phone over WIFI while running the
OpenVPN client app. I believe this was disabled for security reasons. Would
this be a fairly straight forward change?

Would I need to update one of the following files TetherController.cpp and
RouteController.cpp?

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/system/netd/+/android-5.1.1_r1/server

I had it working on my old phone, but had to root it and then enter some
iptable rules. I'd rather not root my Nexus 5.

Thanks,

Gareth