Those projects appear to have been added prior to Oreo and not maintained
since.
I've not gotten the car emulator projects to build, but have been able to
get the emulated vehicle HAL and the demo apps running.

Most of this is accomplished by including the
`packages/services/Car/build/car.mk` file in the device's makefile.

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/services/Car/+/master/car_product/build/car.mk

We did also have to add an SELinux domain for the for the vehicle service
as described here.

https://source.android.com/security/selinux/device-policy#label_new_services_and_address_denials