I did some research.

In the past there was ro.sf.hwrotation, but Google removed this property.
However, some people have resurrected it. LineageOS is pretty trustworthy.
Search their code for uses of this property in github project
https://github.com/LineageOS/android_frameworks_native. Here are a couple
commits you will find:

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_frameworks_native/commit/a9fa1c9c19d6ac00aa0073ef23b7a1d95f8e0a90

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_frameworks_native/commit/8c36832b66e9ae793cf79820d83628d136bfd117

Maybe someone at Google would kindly explain why we can't have this in AOSP?