Looking at the AOSP build log I can see that it is trying to compile the
app using the following javac command:

out/soong/host/linux-x86/bin/soong_javac_wrapper
prebuilts/jdk/jdk9/linux-x86/bin/javac -J-Xmx2048M -Xmaxerrs 9999999
-encoding UTF-8 -sourcepath "" -g -XDskipDuplicateBridges=true
-XDstringConcat=inline  -bootclasspath "" -classpath
prebuilts/sdk/system_current/android.jar:out/soong/.intermediates/external/guava/guava/android_common/turbine-combined/guava.jar

-source 1.8 -target 1.8 ...

If I manually change the source and target parameters to 1.9 and execute
the javac build command, the app is compiled successfull.

Does anyone know how to change this SDK to 1.9 so that the full AOSP build
uses it?

Thank you,
Donal