I managed to sort out an issue with the display rotating to portrait when
Launcher was started even though the fb default is landscape but now I find
that the onscreeen home, back and menu buttons are missing. The area they
usually occupy is just a black bar.

I know that in frameworks/base/core/res/res/values/config.xml there is a
setting called confgi_showNavigationBar and this is set to true.

On this display, the menu bar appears on the right side of the screen
(800x480)

Is there another setting for this or is the rotation the issue with this?