> Now we only need Thomas and Paul to combine their initramfs efforts to
> get one kickass initramfs for all machines with sucky bootloaders.

Yes, and in the meanwhile please add an RFC for linux-rp initramfs
implementation path.

I think we should focus on some potential issues, because
initramfs-bootimage is actually way too big for the limited space in
mtd (at least for Zaurus).
Thomas is working at it, developing a busybox-static using klibc.

>From his work, two scenarios:

1) the initramfs-bootimage fits in mtd
In this case we'd need a new recipe for the initramfs kernel: for the
naming RP suggested "linux-rp-mini_2.6.2x.bb", including
"linux-rp-mini.inc". This kernel would have own set of patches,
helping to reduce the size.

2) the image doesn't fit, we'd use an initramfs-kexec image at first
Then a new kernel+initramfs-bootmenu, unlimited in size and residing
in /boot would be launched. No need for mini kernels this way, easy
update when new kernels are released.

Pro and Contra to discuss on the ml.

My 2 cents

Andrea