Hello,

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 03:06:53 +0300
"Phil Krylov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

In addition to what Philipp said, I may add:

> Hi.
>
> I am new to the list, so let me introduce myself (shortly). I am Phil
> Krylov, an opensource supporter ;)
>
> I have a Qtek 2020i aka HTC Alpine. I've managed to compile a working
> zImage (2.6.21-hh20) from HH.org CVS, install its modules into
> Angstrom-gpe-image-test-20070406-htcuniversal.rootfs.tar.bz2, and boot
> into GPE. But there are some problems, so I wanted to ask if Alpine
> platform support can be revived in Angstrom (or will it differ from
> the Universal image only in installed kernel modules?). I can help on
> my side by testing and probably fixing some of the problems.

Images for different devices usually differ in kernel (and modules),
plus some other minor differences (minor by size of differences, not
by the effect they produce). Having a single installation image is a
great aim for the future, but for now we just produce device-specific
images.

To add htcalpine support to Angstrom, there should be a device mentor
for it. Mentorship includes regular and consistent testing of provided
releases, working with other mentors on solving issues in
general manner (comparing to device-specific hacks), submitting
patches, collecting feedback for users, etc. If you think you're
interested, the first step would be to try to build htcalpine image,
and report if its buildable - we'll add it to autobuilder then, and
you'll be able to proceed with testing official builds.

> Currently I can tell of the following issues, starting with dmesg:
>
> 1. What kernel thinks about CPU:
>
> CPU: XScale-PXA270 [69054117] revision 7 (ARMv5TE), cr=0000397f
> Run Mode clock: 104.00 MHz (*8)
> Turbo Mode clock: 416.00 MHz (*4.0, active)
>
> AFAIK Alpine has a 520-MHz PXA272, not PXA270.
>
> 2. usbnet works strange. First, if alpine is not plugged in USB cradle
> while booting (or is badly plugged - the cradle plug is quite worn
> out), it says something like:
>
> pxa27x_udc: There are error in configuration, udc disabled
>
> Second, if plugged while booting, I can ifconfig usb0 but nothing is
> seen on the PC side (ok probably this is PC-side problem, I'll
> investigate further).
>
> 3. I don't think my Alpine has IRDA, but:
>
> irattach: Starting device irda0
>  and ifconfig reports an irda0 device with a MAC address.

You'll need to provide patch for irda-utils. This is one of those small
by size, but quite noticeable differences from other machines.

> 4. Another strange kernel message (probably for badly compiled GPE
> binaries):
>
> Alignment trap: keylaunch (2911) PC=0x40207384 Instr=0xe5102004
> Address=0x00019eb5 FSR 0x013
> Alignment trap: gpe-confd (2910) PC=0x401975ec Instr=0x15843000
> Address=0xbe9bb1d3 FSR 0x813

This is "normal", feel free to ignore them. (Comparing to
issues due to under-developed kernel you report, these are just
harmless).

> 5. The problem that disturbs me more than everything else: the
> touchscreen works, but much worse than in WinCE: the touches are often
> offset by 20-100 pixels from real place. I think it's also too
> sensitive, because the shorter I touch the better are results, and
> when I touch and hold, mouse pointer starts shivering. Can the touch
> speed (like doubleclick speed on PCs) be set somewhere? The kernel
> reports it's an HTC Universal touchscreen (htcuniversal_ts), is it OK
> for Alpine?

As recommended, try re-making the driver based on ts-adc.

> 6. Screen brightness control in GPE does not work. Auto dim in 3
> minutes does not work.

Kernel issue.

> 7. Can't wakeup from Auto sleep.

Kernel issue.

> 8. Battery level can't be read.

Kernel issue.

> 9. Sound does not work.

Kernel issue.

> 10. "Keys and Buttons" app closes just after opening a window. But
> Alt-Left ("Contacts"-"JoystickLeft")
> to display boot messages above
> bootsplash works. Other than that, the buttons don't seem to do
> anything.

There's no "Alt" on any PDA-style device. Having such a mapping for
"Contacts" button is wrong.

> 11. "Dialer" app closes just after opening a window.
>
> 12. Haven't found any app that would allow to use the builtin camera.

There's only now appears something to operate camera on kernel level,
so no big loss.

> -- Ph.

[]

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]