Philip Balister wrote:
> Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> > Ben Gamari wrote:
> >> Furthermore, I just attempted to remove the dependency on avahi
> >> altogether by adding the following to task-base.bb,
> >>
> >> BAD_RECOMMENDATIONS = "avahi-daemon avahi-autoipd"
> >>
> >> Despite this, it pulled in both packages. This I am truly baffled by.
> >> Ideas?
> >
> > I am not sure whether it will not break Zeroconf support in full builds
> > of the same distro.
> >
> > Another possible solutions:
> >
> > - Branch a new minimal avahi-less distribution.
>
> Do you really mean to create a new distro.conf file, when you could
> create an avahi-less image?

If even libavahi will not be acceptable, then yes, as such image can not
support Zeroconf after adding packages (because image packages lack
support of avahi).

If libavahi* will be acceptable, then I would prefer fine tuning of
avahi package splitting:

Here is a complete list of sub-packages of a full-featured avahi build
in openSUSE, that tends to introduce minimal extra dependencies:

libraries:
libavahi-common3 (lowest level library, needs only base libraries)
libavahi-core6 (core library, needs only libavahi-common3)
libavahi-client3 (client library, needs libavahi-core6 and dbus)
libavahi-ui0 (ui library, needs gtk and libavahi-common3)
libavahi-devel

utilities:
avahi (basic daemons, needs dbus)
avahi-utils (utilities that don't require X)
avahi-utils-gtk (utilities that require gtk)
utilities that require python are just now part of binding packages

bindings:
libavahi-glib1 (glib)
libavahi-glib-devel
libavahi-gobject0 (gobject)
libavahi-gobject-devel
libavahi-qt3-1 (qt3)
libavahi-qt3-devel
libavahi-qt4-1 (qt4)
libavahi-qt4-devel
avahi-mono (mono)
python-avahi (python code that don't require gtk)
python-avahi-gtk (python code that require gtk)

emulations:
libdns_sd (mDNSResponder emulation)
avahi-compat-mDNSResponder-devel
libhowl0 (howl emulation)
avahi-compat-howl-devel

Note: It's not as clean as it looks. One glade file have to be moved to
core, as it was required by avahi-utils-gtk and python-avahi-gtk.

--
Stanislav Brabec
http://www.penguin.cz/~utx/zaurus