(oops, sent to angstrom-distro-users first by mistake...)

Hi all,

I've been looking into why the record button doesn't work in Opie on the
hx4700 (and probably h4000). Opie expects F24 to be the record button for this
device, however the keycode received when the record button is pressed is 89
(as shown by showkey) which corresponds to kernel input constant KEY_RO.
According to an old QtE patch by Paul Sokolovsky, F24 was being substituted
for KEY_RO, however with some later patches the hack that made this work is
now gone.

Since some time ago Opie has been using the kernel keymap rather than its own;
this means that fixing the issue is trivial - simply ensure the keymap
specifies
"keycode 89 = F24" (it is apparently unmapped in the current default keymap).
However, there is no explicit keymap for the hx4700 and there seem to be two
ways of having a device-specific keymap - either patch the default keymap in
the kernel (see recipes/linux/linux-rp-2.6.26/collie_keymap.patch) or have a
machine-specific entry in the keymaps recipe (recipes/keymaps/*).

Patching the kernel seems wrong, so that leaves us with loading a keymap. The
keymaps package is not installed by default on hx4700 - it's usually brought
in by specifying "keyboard" in MACHINE_FEATURES but as the hx4700 does not
actually have a built-in keyboard it's not included there and I'm not sure it
would be correct to do so. Alternatively I could simply add "keymaps" to
MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS. However, having to add this package (which drags in
console-tools as well) just to fix one auxiliary button not working seems a bit
excessive to me - but maybe that's just me.

Anyone have any idea what the correct/most desirable solution for this is?

Thanks,
Paul