Hi,

This is something that came up in a conversation with Koen and I thought it
might be prudent to open the debate on the list to get some feedback about
the best way to approach this workflow without generating any ill feeling or
unintentional marginalisation.

The scenario is quite simple...

I have started to clean up and refactor the old OpenPandora recipes into
something that aligns a lot more closely with OE-Core/Meta-OE and
Meta-Angstrom going forward. This is purely a personal project (that I
welcome help with) and is not necessarily tied to the main OpenPandora
'entity'. It is mostly for my own benefit as I have a few other
projects/machines that I would like to apply the same working pattern.

The forking and keeping bits in various trees with no very clear distinction
has always been a problem in the past and I want to minimise this going
forward making best use of layers. I also want to ensure some ground rules
are set before I start committing or working on this in earnest (it's a
'free time pet project' for me so I don't want to waste my time creating a
rod for my own back, I can do that on a myriad of other projects ;)).

At the moment I have https://github.com/openpandora/meta-openpandora, this
is the old OpenPandora overlay refactored into something more akin to the
new layer layout. At the moment this layer has both machine level BSP type
stuff in it and the general 'not for mainline' OpenPandora overlay stuff
that makes up the stock image (some custom libs, a logo and some image/task
files etc.).

My plan is to move meta-openpandora into a true hardware BSP layer so that
you can just add this to give you full hardware support for the OpenPandora
to any existing combination of OE layers (e.g. kernel, bootloader, netbase,
formfactor, basefiles etc.). As part of this the rest of the 'not for
mainline/cruft' stuff would need to find its way into a companion layer (say
meta-openpandora-vendor or some such).

Is this a good idea? It seems that way to me and would give a clear
distinction on the layers. For example, add meta-openpandora to
meta-angstrom to build mainline Angstrom for the OpenPandora. Add
meta-openpandora-vendor to meta-openpandora and meta-angstrom to make a
'vendor customised' OpenPandora image etc. etc...

Any mainline stuff that would need to be added (Xfce from oe.dev for
example) would obviously get fed in as appropriate via oe-core/meta-oe
and/or meta-angstrom (and maybe meta-ti) with only the vendor 'cruft' ever
living in the meta-openpandora-vendor tree and all generic stuff finding its
way upstream.

I get the impression that some others may also be working in a similar way
but I would not mind a little confirmation that it is a decent way of
working before I sink time into it and if not what would be the preferred
way to accomplish this (working under the assumption that there will always
be a small amount of vendor 'cruft' living off to one side even if it just
becomes some small logos and things like a GTK theme).

PS: There are also customised versions of the Angstrom setup scripts on that
GIThub site, once this settles my plan would be to fold any of that back
into the main Angstrom setup scripts and just provide a customised
layers.txt to support adding the one or more OpenPandora layers (Inc. the
vendor one).

Regards,

John Willis

--

> What is a grue?

The grue is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth.
Its favourite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered
by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and
few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.