Just for fun I've written a system init package for UNIX-like systems.

The motivation was a desire for something both modern (parallel execution,
dynamic service dependencies) and suitable for embedded environments (small,
simple, works happily with read-only file systems).

Having got it working on my iPAQ hx4700 and desktop PC (with 4 different
operating systems) I've published it under GPLv3 in case anybody else is
interested:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tinyinit/

The package includes sample rc files for Angstrom, in the directory:

./samples/angstrom

These merely use the existing Angstrom sysvinit rc scripts and so are the
minimum needed to get TinyInit working. I tested them yesterday with the
current hx4700 / X11 image build from Narcissus.

Regards,
Paul