Hi Maksym,
I did some more investigations. I would say bitbake (branch 1.2) that
is checked out by setup-script (anyway two weeks ago) does not care
about bblayers.conf and layer.conf. You can have anything at all in
these files and you won't see any messages logged regarding these
files. Also this version of bitbake requires you to point bitbake.conf
with BBPATH in the beginning. Otherwice bitbake will complain that
bitbake.conf can't be found from directories listed in BBPATH.

However, this is different with bitbake Master branch. You need only
point the directory where conf directory for bblayers.conf file lies.
By using that bitbake can parse layer.conf files and can find that
bitbake.conf file that lies in oe layer. Also, if I make errors in
layer.conf files pointed by bblayers.conf file, these errors will be
logged.

I can't say this is quite sure as the set-up that I have for
investigating this is broken - bitbake master - openembedded master
combination seems to crash while creating linux native
(gettext-native-0.18-r6). No-one seems tho care about that, though. I
could still try bitbake/master - openembedded/2011.03-maintenance
combination as 2011.03-maintenance does not crash with this gettext
(actually it produces -r5) but I'm now playing over gsm modem
connection, so I'll postpone that until I have proper connection.

It might be good if someone more "developer grade" person could also
comment these observations.

-Matti