On 24/04/2012 20:42, Bryan Evenson wrote:
I have a SAM9G25-EK board and I am having issues with my Angstrom image
incorporating some kernel configuration changes I've made.  This chip has 4
USARTs with USART0 and USART3 populated on the development board.  The default
image has USART3 disabled and I am trying to enable it.  With a Buildroot
setup, all I needed to do was register USART3 in the board configuration file
in the kernel by adding:

at91_register_uart(AT91SAM9X5_ID_USART3, 4, 0);

to board-sam9x5ek.c.  I've done this with my Angstrom image (using a patch and
verifying that the patch was correctly applied) and then executed:

bitbake -c clean virtual/kernel
bitbake -c clean net-at91sam9-image
bitbake net-at91sam9-image

where net-at91sam9-image console-based image recipe that was created by Atmel.
I burned the new image to my dev board and rebooted.  After booting the new
image, USART3 is still not operable and a search of dmesg showed that no
attempt was made to register USART3.

I then tried removing the registration of USART0 and USART3, rebuilding
everything and loading the new image. With this image there was still no
change; USART0 was still operational and USART3 was not. So there is a step
that I must be missing in getting my updates to the kernel to filter down. I've
also tried cleaning and rebuilding udev, but that didn't help either.  Any
ideas what steps I may be missing?

Thanks,
Bryan

Hi Bryan,

There is a suggested guide for kernel development[1], and one I recently wrote myself[2] - have a look at the workflow. I am guessing that when you perform the bitbake -c clean you are removing the changes you made to your Angstrom kernel source.

[1] http://www.slimlogic.co.uk/2011/05/openembeddedangstrom-kernel-workflow/
[2] http://communistcode.co.uk/blog/blogPost.php?blogPostID=3