The "defconfig" file is present in the meta-layers and copied to the kernel
build directory.
It is used to create the ".config" file in the kernel source directory.

If you modify the ".config" file, you will see changes in the kernel file.
if you modify the defconfig file in the build directory, nothing happens.

I typically change the ".config" and copy the result to the "defconfig" in the
meta-layer.  Then I rebuild from scratch.

bitbake -c cleansstate virtual/kernel
bitbake virtual/kernel

Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson