Running Angstrom Master (Yocto-1.3) and building for beaglebone.

Have been using Ubuntu 12-04 LTS (i686) without problems.
Then I reinstalled the machine with Ubuntu 12-04 LTS (x64)
and then the build fails due to xfconf-4.10.0.bb

Have googled around without finding a solution, only a workaround,

This happens when "making" <xfconf>/xfconf-perl/Makefile.perl

In the linker phase, the linker does not find
libxconf-gvaluefuncs.a and libxfconf-0
/usr/bin/ld:    cannot find -lxfconf-0
/usr/bin/ld:    cannot find -l-ldbus-glib-1.
/usr/bin/ld:    cannot find -l-ldbus-1

They find such libraries but they are skipped, due to incompatibility.

"/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible <....>xfconf-perl/../xfconf/.libs/libxfconf-gvaluefuncs.a"

same for -lxfconf

I think the error is because the build uses the native (x64) linker instead of the ARM linker, The libraries found are of course built for 32 bit ARM, thus not useable and the linker
looks for something else.

This was interesting, since I have another machine which also
runs Ubuntu-12.04 LTS (x64) and on that machine,
the build completes without problem.

It turns out, that xfconf configure does not find any perl in the
openembedded sysroot, but finds /usr/bin/perl, the native perl.
I think that based on that, it decides to use the native linker.

In the first machine (failing), it continues and looks for some perl modules.

checking for perl modules: ExtUtils::Depends, ExtUtils::PkgConfig, Glib... yes,

On the second machine, this check fails.

checking for perl modules: ExtUtils::Depends, ExtUtils::PkgConfig, Glib... no

*** Required perl modules not found to build perl bindings. Requirements are:
***
***     ExtUtils::Depends    0.300
***     ExtUtils::PkgConfig  1.000
***     Glib                 1.020
***

Therefore configure decides to build xfconf without perl support, and thus
xfconf-perl/Makefile.perl does not get generated, removing the cause
of the failing build.

Googling for the problem, I found a guy on the gumstix mailing list
(Charles Ash  <ashchar...@gmail.com>) which has a workaroung.

recipes-xfce/xfconf/xfconf_4.10.0.bbappend:

FILESEXTRAPATHS_prepend := "${THISDIR}/${PN}:"
EXTRA_OECONF = "--disable-perl-bindings"

This also results in xfconf-perl/Makefile.perl not beeing run,
and then the build completes.

I am going to try to make xfconf depend on "perl" instead.
Then hopefully, "configure" should find the perl for ARM
instead of the native perl.

--
Best Regards
Ulf Samuelsson