I am trying to build the exact image that ships with the current BeagleBone Black from source.

I have built  the cloud9-gnome-image successfully, but...
* it results in a zImage rather than a uImage. The  eMMC contains a uImage.
(This is the first hint that something is wrong.)

I converted the zImage to uImage, then...
* Angstrom boots (visible from the serial console), but the HDMI Gnome GUI doesn't work.
   (The screen is totally black.)
Several keyboard and crt errors are printed in the Linux boot console log.
   The kernel seems to be mis-configured.

I replaced  the bitbaked kernel image with the one from the eMMC, then...
Angstrom boots, the HDMI monitor displays a desktop, the keyboard and mouse are functional, but... * the desktop background does not match the one used by the eMMC. The built background one has an
   eye-burning neon green graphic.
* the top and bottom lines of the screen are missing (there are Gnome buttons or clock), therefore no
   Gnome applications can be run from the GUI.

It seems that both the built kernel and root file system are broken.

Am I building the wrong target?

Is the results of a build sensitive to the build sequence?
My build sequence was...
bitbake virtual/kernel
bitbake console-image
bitbake cloud9-gnome-image

I did not perform any "clean" steps between them.

Regards,
Bob