Hello all !

I'm the owner of an iPaq H5450 (or H5500, I can't remember, nothing written on the device). Back when I received it, I installed familiar linux, and I was quite happy with it as I could at least use it (gpe & stuff). Now that familiar is not active anymore, I would really like to use angstrom, but I've never been able to get something workin correctly :(

Here's what I tried, any comment/help welcome !

- install the images from the angstrom web site. They look a bit old (2007.12), but as a starting point... :). The LCD starts by displaying vertical lines, that fade slowly until the screen is homogeneously grey :( . I can see that everything boots fine from the console, but can't login as there is no valid shadow file (I guess it's created during first graphical login?). Tried with console/gpe/x11 images.

- follow the instructions to build my own images from open embedded. As stated in a recent thread, there's no way to easily get a checkout corresponding to the 2007.12 images, so I use the stable/2009 as instructed :) I can get images to build, but gpe-image is too big to fit in memory. Console images works fine, I can even login.

- I tuned a bit the gpe-image to include less software. I can get an image that I can flash, but during the boot process, the kernel complains about being unable to mount rootfs (Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block), like described on the old wiki for H5550.

 - I tried with .dev branch... But still no luck so far.

- I wanted to give a try to narcissius images, but I don't know how to get something that I can use with my device from the rootfs as a tgz.

- I even tried to reinstall winCE few months ago, to be able to boot linux from a live image (quicker than flashing again and again), but I never got anything booting (can't remember the error message, it was months ago).

It's bit frustrating :/ I would really like to help ! Maybe someone can give me a few steps I should try to follow ? I'm not even sure that using the jffs2 image flashed from the bootloader is the best way to go. (it's not the quickest, for sure).

Any help *very* welcome :)
Marc