Hi Sean,

Sean C. Payne wrote:

        I tried you steps...  and still lock up, just not right away but before
I could finish typing in iwconfig.  I'm booted into the unstable
version, so will try you steps on 2007.12.

This is my /etc/angstrom-version:

Angstrom 2009.X-test-20090526
Built from branch: stable/2009
Revision: ea3ee6d324986ee60435e6bc0673f661f8aed9f9

My kernel is 2.6.21-hh20.

There have been a lot of changes between the 2.6.21 kernel and the later ones, resulting in things breaking. I find it odd that the kernel development cycle goes like this: things don't work, then they do, and then they don't, again; perhaps the kernel developers have to 'knock something down' before they can rebuild it in a different configuration.

        I did get the squares but was able to input an account and log in, so
that isn't a problem just an annoyance.

Good - that's exactly what I had: although I hadn't a clue what I was 'typing' on the OSK, it let me through to the next screen. The initial font might be set somewhere in the config files in /etc/X11/ (I can't tell on mine, because the config has changed since I got that first screen).

        On the "... empty flash at ..." error... I've tracked down the culprit.
It is in /etc/fstab.  The error has to do with jffs2 images but I'm not
using one, I'm booting from SD.  Looking in /etc/vfstab, there is a
line:
        "/dev/mtdblock3  /home   jffs2   defaults        1  1"
That needs to be deleted.

Ah. I'd never considered that the 'empty flash' is output from the mtd driver, as it scans the flash memory; I'd got used to those messages and stopped asking myself what they might mean. That explains why it goes on for so long, if there's nothing there.

Breakfast time.

Cheers!

Lex