Hello list,

I am planning to create a C/C++ image processing application for my
(Angstrom-driven) BeagleBoard-xM and a webcam, using e.g. the OpenCV library.

Before I start coding, let me ask: Does it make sense to use the native build
environment on the BeagleBoard? I am aware about the build being slow, but it's
the same speed as my old laptop. However, I read about higher "chance of
failure" [1], so I wonder whether I should try it at all, or try to get a
cross-compile working instead, if that's what everyone does.

I also was a little worried when trying "opkg install libopencv-highgui-dev"
only was successful after trying it three times. The first time, it stopped with

Collected errors:
 * check_data_file_clashes: Package libmenuw5 wants to install file
/usr/lib/libmenuw.so.5
    But that file is already provided by package  * libmenuw
 * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package libopencv-highgui-dev.

So let me please hear your opinions about software development on a BeagleBoard.

Robert

[1]
http://lists.linuxtogo.org/pipermail/angstrom-distro-users/2011-October/003805.html