Given the advice about leaving us "newbies" to the wolves....

Could somebody make a recommendation for a list of packages for the
Beagleboard -XM?

Is the demo distro sufficient or weak?

The ultimate goal is to run an OS that is near real time. No bells and
whistles are necessary.

Beagle Board Forums / Tutorials point to the distro builder.

Thanks,

Aaron